WHEN YOU HIRE AN EMPLOYEE, YOU ARE ESTABLISHING A RELATIONSHIP.
A well-crafted Employee Handbook is a powerful communication tool telling employees and managers what they need to know, and giving management a place to set the organizational tone. Thoughtfully written, an Employee Handbook supports your organization’s culture and spirit while maintaining legal compliance. Poorly written, your Handbook could create trouble. Every handbook we create is customized to our client’s situation and reviewed by legal counsel.
Our clients routinely give us positive feedback on the difference having an Employee Handbook has made. And they’re not the only ones: A client’s outside auditor was so impressed with our Employee Handbook that he asked permission to recommend it to his other clients.
Remember: The time to create your policies is before you need them!
Here are some of the topics that may be
included in your Handbook:
- Ethical Business Practices/Conflicts of Interest
- Protecting Intellectual Property and Confidential Information
- Discrimination and Sexual or Other Illegal Harassment
- Making and Responding to Complaints
- Safety and Security/Workplace Violence
- Personal Appearance
- Tobacco, Drugs and Alcohol
- Employee Classifications
- Work Performance Standards/Evaluations
- Performance Improvement (Disciplinary) Plans
- Salary Reviews/Pay Increases
- Work Schedules
- Time Tracking
- Paid Time Off (or Vacation and Sick Leave)
- Insurance and Pay Protection Benefits
- Personal/Medical/Pregnancy/Family Leaves
- Mandated Paid and Unpaid Time Off
- Continuing Education
- Community Involvement
- Pets in the Workplace
- Telecommuting and Alternative Work Schedules
- Voluntary Mediation/Binding Arbitration
When a need is outside of our scope, we can direct you to appropriate resources.
Every employer wants to believe they’ve got a good team they can trust. And in most cases, they have.
Unfortunately, even good people sometimes stray from company expectations. Here are some of the issues we were asked to investigate.